Sometimes we can’t be bothered to exercise regularly, but are you down for this quick and easy workout that can amp up your sex life? This is a muscle workout that you won’t get to show off the results to your friends and family, but your results will surely drive your partner crazy!
What the hell is a Kegel?
Dr. Arnold Kegel, a gynecologist in the USA, discovered that many of his patients experiencing stress incontinence, prolapse, and sexual dysfunction had weak pelvic floor muscles from childbirth. He then started his research on the importance of pelvic floor muscles and how he can help these women with upsetting symptoms. In conclusion, his research advised doing Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, or the pubococcygeus (“PC”). These muscles run along the pelvic floor and surround the vagina. They’re the same muscles that contract during an orgasm, prevent unintended pee leakage, and support the uterus, bladder, small intestine, and rectum.
However, Kegel exercises aren’t just for women!
The pelvic floor muscles also hold up men’s internal organs and intestines, and stretches from the anus to the urinary sphincter. These muscles are vital for the penis’ health.
What Can Kegels Do For Me?
Pregnancy, childbirth, medical procedures, aging, excessive straining from constipation or chronic coughing, and being overweight are factors that can weaken the pelvic floor muscles. Kegel exercises are beneficial for you especially if you experience:
- Stress incontinence (Leaking a few drops of pee when sneezing, laughing or coughing)
- Urinary urge incontinence (Having a strong and sudden urge to pee just before losing big amounts of pee)
- Fecal incontinence (Leaking poop)
Regularly doing Kegel exercises can help make sex more enjoyable.
Women may get aroused easier and faster, feel more sensation and pleasure during sex, and experience more intense orgasms — maybe even multiple orgasms!
For men, Kegel exercises have a lot of benefits than you thought. The perineum (the space between the anus and scrotum) will have better blood flow, ejaculatory control will be better, and orgasms will be more intense. Kegels may also curb premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction, and improve crooked penises.
Now I’m Down For Kegels! But how are they done?
We’ve heard lots of fitness crazes, but you won’t see these Kegel exercises at your gym! — or maybe you just don’t notice them because they can actually be done anywhere.
There are a lot of ways how you can do the Kegels, but here’s a simple guide for beginners:
- Find the right muscles. To locate the pelvic floor muscles, stop your pee midstream. Once you’ve identified them, you can do the Kegels in any position, but doing them lying down is a good start.
- Contract your pelvic floor muscles. Imagine you’re sitting on a piece of marble. Tighten your pelvic muscles like you’re lifting the marble.
Ladies, you can check if you’re doing it right by inserting a finger two inches into your vagina. You should feel it tighten a little around your finger.
Gentlemen, check if you’re doing it right by placing fingers behind your testicles. You should feel the muscles there tighten.
Hold it three to five seconds at a time, and relax it for the same length you held it.
- Focus. Keep your thighs, butt, and abdomen relaxed. Don’t hold your breath; you’re supposed to breathe freely like how you normally do.
- Do it thrice a day. Try at least three sets of 10 to 15 reps each day. You can do it discreetly anytime, anywhere. No one can tell that you’re actually doing Kegels at the moment.
What you’ve read above is a guide on how to do the basic Kegel Exercise. You can do it while sitting down or lying on your bed, but there are various ways how you can do it too if you’re up for the challenge. You can do it while doing workouts such as hip thrusts, clamshells, or even while dancing. It’s up to you how you’ll squeeze in your Kegel Exercise into your day!
You’ll see the results in a few weeks to a few months, but take note that Kegel exercises are not magical potions that will instantly give you the best sex of your life!